Friday, June 8, 2012

Duncan Hines Frosting Creations

Hey Ya'll!!!

I really hate to do this, but my first product review is gonna have to be a negative one.  It's about the new Duncan Hines product, "Frosting Creations".  I saw this in my local Food Lion store, and was really excited about it.  For about a dollar, you get a can of "base" frosting.  It's pretty much a blank slate, to which you add a flavoring packet, which also costs about a dollar.  The flavors are pretty varied, with tastes like Cotton Candy, Caramel, Mint Chocolate, and Orange Creme (the one I tried).  I immediately took my new purchase home and started baking.  I made sure my cake was completely cooled before I even opened the frosting.  You're supposed to mix the flavoring pack into the base frosting, and voila!  You have a gourmet-flavored frosting for your cake.  After mixing the frosting, I noticed that it had a very strange texture, kinda slimy to be exact.  When I pulled the knife out of the frosting, there were these strands of frosting that hung onto the knife.  Not appetizing at all.  I put it on the cake anyway, and it had a glossy, gooey texture.  It tasted pretty good, very much like a Dreamsicle, but a little too sweet for my liking.  I atrribute that to personal taste, though.  My main complaint was about the texture.  Within just a couple of hours, the top layer of my 2-layer cake had started to sliiiiiide off.  And yes, it WAS completely cooled...I made that mistake with my very first cake, thank you.  The frosting was just too slippery and hold the top layer in place.  I imagine about a dozen toothpicks might have helped, or I could have stored the cake in the refrigerator, but that's just not how we like our frosting here in the South.  I emailed Duncan Hines about my experience, and had a response within an hour.  They were very nice, and will be sending me a coupon as reimbursement, even though I didn't ask for it.  With my next cake, I'll go back to making my own homemade frosting.  

Happy Testing!
Donna   

No comments:

Post a Comment